Monument Valley / Arizona & Utah

Travel.
It's defined as making a journey
Traveling is something that I love to do; it's in my blood. Once I've come up with some type of route for my journey, as soon as I'm behind the wheel of the car or wheels up in an airplane, there's a smile on my face and I'm ready to explore. 

As I begin this new venture of putting my travels into words, I think it's only fair that I start with one of my favorite places --- Monument Valley.


I've had the opportunity to visit Monument Valley three times so far --- each time during a different month (January 2016, October 2017 and November 2018). 
It lies on the border of Arizona and Utah. 
It's breathtaking.
It's magical. 
It's like nothing else I've ever experienced in my travels all over the country and abroad.
And it's famous.
It's where director John Ford and actor John Wayne filmed multiple Western movies.
In Forrest Gump, Forrest is there when he decides he's finished running.
In Family Vacation, it's where the Griswold's end up when Clark drives through the "road closed" sign and then wanders out into the desert.

The landscape of western states like Arizona and Utah is beautiful in and of itself, but Monument Valley takes things to a whole new level.
It was just after sunset when I first laid eyes on these magnificent sandstone formations.

January 2016
I've been driving all night from Dallas, Texas, expecting to reach the area by morning in time to shoot some landscape portraits. In the early glow of morning light, before the sunrise had taken place, the night's darkness is fading away to reveal the red-sand desert and some uniquely-shaped rock formations. What's even more fascinating is that I can see them from over 10 miles away, as they linger in the distant horizon.


I'm gazing out at the wide flat landscape like a wide-eyed child on Christmas morning, amazed by what I'm seeing. It's my first taste of the American West, and it certainly surpassed all of my expectations.

The colorful red buttes and spires reach hundreds of feet in the air, dotting the desert with their wild shapes like a mixture of Rorschach inkblots left for the viewer to determine and decipher. These formations are apparently all that remained of the sedimentary rock layers that once covered the region.

Miles ahead, rounding a curve in the road, a layer of snow comes into sight on the ground. What could possibly be more beautiful than the Monument Valley landscape? Answer, the landscape covered in a slowly melting blanket of snow.


As the drive continues, the most familiar monoliths of Monument Valley appear in the horizon, with over ten miles still remaining before arrival at the official entrance.


Traveling along Highway 163, I cross over the border from Arizona into Utah. A few seconds later, a right turn down a road marked with billboards pointing to Monument Valley sends me over the state line and back into Arizona. Four miles ahead, I pay $20 to enter on Navajo Tribal Lands and head to the overlook at the Visitor Center.


At the overlook, it's bitter cold, but I'm numb to the weather because I'm soaking in the incredible view. The snow still paints the red-colored landscape, but the muddy dirt road can still be seen winding its way through the valley floor below. The Mittens (West Mitten Butte and East Mitten Butte) and Merrick Butte are in perfect view from the visitor center.

With limited time, I soak in the view for another 20 minutes, then I'm back in the car and on my way. Heading north on Highway 163, the road curves in and out of the sandstone monuments and then straightens into a long stretch for several miles that leads to one more famous view of Monument Valley. This is the view from Forrest Gump, and it's a magical view that is not to be missed.


This view of the road leading into Monument Valley feels like the gateway to the American West. And, yes, I'm standing in the middle of the road. So, if you plan to do the same, be cautious of traffic that is coming from both directions on the road. If you pick the right time, like I did, you may find that you have the entire view to yourself.

I mentioned earlier that I've visited Monument Valley multiple times, and I plan to share those experiences with you as well, in a future post.

6:12 TRAVEL TIP: Visit Monument Valley early in the morning for the best light and to avoid the crowds.


Comments

  1. I am thrilled to see your blog! How fun to be able to travel with you virtually. Go Eric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for always being so supportive, Lennie! Excited to share my travels with you on this blog.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts